by Tawnya Sutherland
As a Virtual Assistant, your main revenue stream will be selling your services online to your prospective target market. Selling your services is hard work! It requires a strategic marketing plan that you need to consistently implement to find and retain clients. Servicing clients makes up the bulk of our revenue and without it we would be out of business.
Or would we?
There will always be revenue stream down times working as a Virtual Assistant. It may be during holidays, when you are sick or for other reasons like a housing recession (if you are a Real Estate VA) when clients just aren’t steadily flowing into our sales funnel.
What plan do you have in place for extra income during these phases when you find you have a lack of clients?
An easy way to replace that missed $$moola$$ during these down times with your online business is to bring affiliate marketing into your marketing arsenal. Even if you aren’t in a financial down time, adding affiliate marketing to your online marketing plan can bring in some extra lipstick money to spend on you, your family or invest back into your business.
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing basically means selling other people’s products for a commission online. Affiliate marketing is similar to offline sales where sales people earn a commission for selling a product; the difference is that all selling is conducted online.
As an affiliate marketer you will research and find products to promote on your website that are targeted to your market. For example if you have prospective online business entrepreneurs visiting your site to outsource work to your VA business, you might have a resources page of other people’s products that would benefit them. Have a look at my resources page for examples of affiliate products targeted to business entrepreneurs: http://www.vajot.com
Each time you make a sale through a click of an affiliate link on your website you will earn a portion of that sale. The commissions can vary from as low as 7% to a generous 100%.
When you first get started with affiliate marketing as a Virtual Assistant promoting a small number of affiliate products to your email list it can sometimes feel like you’re saying the same thing over and over again to your readers. The key to creating an abundance of content and driving traffic to affiliate sales pages is to stay fresh and relevant with your audience. Variety is key. It just takes a little creativity. This list of 30 ideas can help you get started.
- Write a review. Include a summary as well as honest pros and cons about the product.
- Interview someone who has used the product. Have them talk about why they bought the product, what problem it solved, and how they’re doing now?
- Create a” how to use the product” article series. Show people through a how-to series, why the product solves their problem and how to use the product effectively.
- Create a how to use the product video. Publish a how to video on YouTube. Share it on your blog and social media to get more coverage.
- Write a tips list – people love tips lists. Share a list of tips to use the product or tips to solve their problem. For example, 10 tips to backup your computer. One of the tips might be to use the product you’re promoting.
- Create an infographic. Create a visual representation of product benefits and show prospects why the product is effective.
- Create a comparison chart. Highlight your product alongside similar, but inferior, products.
- Show yourself using the product in a photo, share it on your blog. Build trust and credibility with your audience.
- Interview the seller. Talk to the seller and record the interview. Publish the audio and the transcript.
- Create a webinar. Discuss the problems the product solves.
- Write a short report. Focus on a problem that you’re solving, for example, how to get more sales from Twitter. Then lead the reader to the solution; the product you’re promoting.
- Create an e-course around the product, deliver it via email
- Host a product giveaway
- Write a comparison post comparing the product you’re promoting with another similar product. Be honest.
- Create a post when product adds a new feature. Talk about the feature and how it adds value.
- Write a question and answer blog post. Highlight the most common questions people have when trying to solve their problem (the problem that the product solves).
- Write a post on why you switched from product A to product B (the product you’re promoting)
- Create a resource page
- Write a question and answer blog post. Highlight the most common questions people have when using the product.
- Create list post and include the product
- Send an email to your list with a special promotion and highlight a coupon or bonus offer.
- Podcast. Talk about the benefits, tips, or best practices for the product
- Identify a single benefit or problem that prospects have and write a blog post about solving that problem.
- Create an email series. Talk about the different benefits the product provides. Start by highlighting the big problem your reader is facing.
- Seasonal content. Write content that is timely and relevant to your audience. For example, office gift ideas during the Christmas holiday or goal setting during the New Year.
- Pinterest. Share images of people using the product
- Instagram. Create a quick video or image highlighting a product benefit
- Guest blog. Talk about a problem the product solves on a relevant but not competitive blog.
- Hold a contest. For example, ask people to send in videos of themselves using the product. Best/most creative video wins.
- Next steps. Write about what to do after you’ve purchased the product. How can you make the most of it?
As you start working your way through this ideas list, you’ll undoubtedly come up with new ideas. Write them down, add them to the list. Each time you find a new product to promote, you can make sure you keep your content fresh and relevant to your readers.
Have fun making extra money in your Virtual Assistant business with these new affiliate marketing strategies. If you want to learn more about affiliate marketing join my FREE VA Lounge to download my EBOOK: Getting Started With Affiliate Marketing (& Video) at http://VAnetworking.com/free
- Why You Hate Meetings and What You Can Do About It (Part 2 of 2) - November 9, 2020
- Why You Hate Meetings and What You Can Do About it (Part 1 of 2) - November 7, 2020
- Top 5 Trends in VA Software – Time Management, CRMs, Scheduling, & more - October 21, 2020