Were you excited about starting your business, being your own boss? Did you believe clients would just start flooding in because you are open for business? How is that working for you? Are you frustrated about not having enough clients? Are you feeling insecure as an introvert, that you don’t have the personality for marketing and sales?
YOU are not alone! The #1 question most business owners ask me is, ”How do I get clients?“ Most business owners don’t know how to go about finding clients. You have tried a few marketing strategies but haven’t gotten the results you desired. For introverts, quiet or shy individuals, the thought of marketing and sales is highly unappealing and often the cause of great anxiety. Fortunately, there are introvert-friendly strategies you can use to get more clients and grow your business.
Follow these Steps, taken from the Introvert Business Success Blueprint, to jumpstart your business with new clients.
1. Identify Your Target Market
Identifying your target market is one of the biggest struggles for business owners. If you have shied away from narrowing your niche, you are not alone. Many businesses think if they narrow their focus, then that means they will be saying no to potential clients and losing money. However, not having a narrow enough target market is one of the main reasons many business owners are not successful.
A narrow niche makes you stand out from everyone else in your industry. You are also more recognizable to your ideal clients. With a narrow niche, you gain visibility as an expert and people are more likely to buy from you. This is key for introverts. You don’t have to compete with everyone else in your industry. Your uniqueness will attract your ideal clients to you! Remember if you market to everyone, you sell to no one.
2. Craft Your Marketing Message
Usually when you meet someone for the first time, the conversation normally turns to work. You will hear the question “What do you do?” The usually answer is to state an occupation or job title. This might be okay in social situations but if you are talking to a potential client or referral partner, you have to have a “wow” statement or elevator speech. This statement should be compelling and tells the listener exactly who you work with, what are their problems and the solution you are offering.
All of your marketing materials (website, brochures, business card, etc.) should clearly articulate your uniqueness and how that benefits your clients. You should focus on connecting your ideal client’s pain to the solution your services offer.
Here’s an example of my “wow” statement. I help introverts, quiet or shy Service Professionals who struggle with marketing and sales strategies that don’t fit their personality, to get clients and grow their business, without changing who they are.
3. Customize Your Marketing Mix
Clients usually buy from you because they know, like and trust you. There are many marketing strategies available to increase your visibility and credibility, i.e. your know, like, trust factor. However, it’s important to choose the marketing strategy that fits you, your business and your personality. Here are several strategies you can consider, networking, speaking, writing and advertising, both offline and online.
- Networking is not about going to an event and passing out business cards to as many people as possible. This is why many introverts don’t do networking. It’s about building relationships with potential clients and referral partners.
- Speaking increases your visibility to lots more people all at once and adds credibility to you as an expert. The objective is to provide great information, not to sell your service. You can start as a free speaker to groups where you can find your target market. Introverts make good speakers because the focus is not so much on social interaction, but on delivering content.
- Writing, which comes naturally for many introverts, is a good way to increase your visibility and your credibility as an expert. The objective is to provide great content and solve a problem for the reader.
- Advertising will increase your visibility but with little impact on your credibility. Many introverts choose this strategy because it doesn’t involve any social interaction. But unfortunately, the person who sees your Ad doesn’t know you and may not buy from you. You will have to include a way for them to take a further step to get to know you without the need to buy now.
Join Marcia Donaldson for the webinar on Thursday, February 20 at 5p EST, topic “Get More Clients – How to Create and Implement a Customized Marketing Plan That Fits Your Personality”.
Marcia Donaldson is a Co-Author of “Succeeding Against All Odds’, and an eWomenNetwork Premier Success Coach. As the Introvert Business Success Coach and Trainer, Marcia helps independent service professionals and small business owners get more clients and make more money. She teaches them to apply her proven Business Success Blueprint, a comprehensive, step-by-step business-building system that creates a foundation for long-term results. Her vision is to help thousands of business owners use the profits from their business to make a difference in the world.
You can sign up for Marcia’s free eCourse which will provide the training you need to implement the above steps and more at www.IntrovertBusinessSuccess.com/gifts
- Is it Worthwhile to Attend a Conference like the IVAA Live Summit? - July 6, 2017
- Client Attraction for Introverts by Marcia Donaldson - February 12, 2014
- SkyDrive–Store, Share and Collaborate - September 9, 2013